Skip to main content

Thirty-Some Aprils

Yesterday marked the beginning of my birth month...this is my 38th April of existence here on Planet Earth (not to be my 39th until later in the month).

April is one of those "cusp" months here in America.  Sometimes it's really nice and gorgeous and springy and green, and other times it's cold and rainy/snowy and winter-esque.

Usually, by the end of the month, though, Mother Nature has gotten her shit together.  And, usually by the time my birthday rolls around at the end of the month, the temperatures are good (precipitation is iffy, but one out of two ain't bad, right?).  Lots of birthdays I know of are in April, which makes me wonder what the hell was happening in July of the previous year?  Lots of sprightly young couples celebrating America's birthday?

Life proceeds to get busier and busier here at Chez Nelson.  Spring sports have begun, and that means soccer for the younger two kids, and high school golf for the older.  Not that I mean to wish away time, but I look forward to the soon-to-be-15-year-old getting his driver's license...then he can shoulder some of this taxi burden.

I'd like to be able to talk more about food here today, but frankly, I can only do so much in the kitchen right now.  I could test a cheesecake recipe or something to do with beef, but that's extra food that ends up in the refrig, or worse, in my belly and in the vicinity of my rear end.  I suppose when I head off to the Mackinac Island later on this month to start my internship, I'll need to focus on more "academic" blog entries anyway...since I won't have access to much of a kitchen to play in besides my work place.

In other news, there is an ongoing effort to promote industriousness here at the home; in the name of a family challenge.  All Wii and xbox games have been hidden, along with the controllers for play.  We've also taken the kids' iPods and Brent's iPad and placed them in a safe place as well.  With schoolwork and whatnot, computer time is difficult to get around, so we've created a logsheet of time spent on the home computer/laptops.  For example, after I compose and proofread this post, I will fill in how long I spent on my laptop and what I was doing.  Believe me, I've been compelled to rethink my jumping on the computer whenever I feel like it, especially since I've got to record it for my entire family to scrutinize.

The point is to a.) try to loosen the chokehold that technology has on this family and b.) find something productive to do with the time we AREN'T on a screen of some sort.  Because, really, we've been finding around here that we frequently piddle away hours on the Internet, doing who knows what.  And because of it, we're not building anything, we're not making anything, we're not doing anything...and it's a problem.

So yesterday, with the time I saved not being on the computer...I made a French Silk Pie.  The crust was too thick and tough...but the filling was extremely decadent.  And today, I finished Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan (about the romance of writer Robert Louis Stevenson and his American wife, Fanny).  And now, I'm in the midst of looking through a baking book Kirby checked out from the library, photocopying dessert recipes I'd like to try (mostly cheesecakes, hmph).

So mundane, yet so esoteric.  These are the Days of Our Lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil