Skip to main content

(She) Blinded Me With...Citrus

Excuse my attempt at tying today's blog entry with an iconic Thomas Dolby song.  What a terrible pun-ishment.

Har har har.

So, we're on the backside of Winter Vacation/Christmas Break/Holiday Hiatus here.  The kids return to school tomorrow, the freshman and I start back to our respective colleges next Monday. The clock is ticking and suddenly, I am whipped into frenzy to Get Work Done.  I suspect this phenomenon happens to many, many educators who try to avoid that panic-stricken night before they go back to work.

And believe me when I say, I had the deepest, most earnest of intentions to write lesson plans, write quizzes, and generally prepare for the restart of my classes next week.  Like, really.

And then...I was distracted by...citrus.  This happened.


Okay, so....the lemons on the far right are no big deal.  They're available year-round.  But Meyer lemons...MEYER...I only find around here in the winter.  I first read about them in Alice Waters' cookbook, the Art of Simple Food.  They're a little smaller, a darker shade of yellow, and a tad sweeter.  I ALWAYS buy them whenever I see them.  I don't always know what I'm going to do with them, but...pshhht! Details.

And today, I wanted to use them to make a Meyer Lemon Sherbet.  So, I did that.  Then, I wanted to take my regular bag of lemons and do some preserved/cured/confit of lemons.  That jar in the middle has three quartered lemons in it, right before I dumped in a boatload of salt.  I let it sit for a month or so...and then, I have deliciously preserved lemons that I can use in a myriad of ways to add a flavor layer to my dishes.  I used a Michael Ruhlman recipe, and it's really pretty simple...as long as you've got the time to wait.  Like, a month.  Which I do.

Also, I had a half-case of blood oranges that needed something done with them, so I juiced them.  And made a beautiful Blood Orange Panna Cotta for dinner tonight.


I think I've got to go back and read my iPhone 7 manual - especially regarding the camera and why it takes such crummy pictures.  Feel like the color's all off here.  Anyway.  The panna cotta is a lovely pale peach-ish color and there was a special little treat down in the bottom of the ramekin...blood orange jelly.

Yeah, a little distracted by the citrus charms today...but totally worth it.  And hey, I got some lesson planning done when I took Child #2 and #3 to the dentist.  Orange's well that lemon's well, don't you know!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...