Skip to main content

Spring Roll Fun House

If I haven't said it before, I'll mention it now:

I live in my hometown.  I've been here all my life, except for, like 12 years, when I was off at university, getting Career, and becoming a parent.

And while I'm a great proponent of change, I do believe there are some things that are sacred.  For example, the city park in my hometown had one of these dealies:

Actually, this is the actual Fun House from the park in my hometown, lifted from a website called www.villageprofile.com.

I'm sure most of you can see how this works.  Much like a hamster in a wheel, running inside the fun house gets it moving rather quickly.  Inevitably, somebody trips, falls, gets quite hurt, and hurts several others participants in the process.  Also, risks of getting painful splinters were very high.

It was really good, clean family fun.

Imagine then, my surprise, nay, my indignant vexation to discover this fun house had been torn down after being deemed unsafe?

It was sad, really, like a significant piece of my childhood had been punched in the face.

It was with this mixture of sadness and nostalgia that we made Spring Rolls a couple of nights ago.  Because Spring Rolls look a lot like fun houses.

Courtesy of wikipedia.org
Spring Rolls are very similar to egg rolls, except rice paper is used in lieu of wonton wrappers.  Rice paper is amazing stuff.  Once you dampen it, it becomes stretchy and sticky.  So - keep a damp cloth or a bowl of water nearby to keep your fingers wet as you work with this.

Remember that flat iron steak we'd been marinating in the last post?  Now is its time to shine.  A quick fry-up in a hot skillet, some bean sprouts, shredded carrots, and fresh mint, cilantro, and basil leaves are the only things needed to fill your Vietnamese fun house.

Dip the rice paper in water, fill the items listed above (not too much...bulging spring rolls are unattractive), and roll up, tucking in sides.

This little guy was made by one of my children, I suspect.  It's rather untidy, but you get the point of what's going on here.  The green of the herbs, brown of the meat, and white/orange of the vegetable all press up against each other in a Fun House of Deliciousness.

I am instantly transported back to the wooden barrel fun house of my youth.

Oh, and, consider whipping up a quick, yummo Asian dipping sauce (for me: soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sriracha, and sweet chili sauce).

Your life will be nearly complete.  Nostalgic memories and all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...