Skip to main content

No Side Dish Needed?

No kidding!

There are days when I dream of preparing a lavishly laid out table...several colorful foods crowding the table, tendrils of steam rising from the tureens and crocks, succulent platters of savory meats, tender-crisp vegetables, and not to mention a wonderful variety of breads and sweets.

And then there's reality.  And that's when I make dishes like this:


Let me describe what you're looking at.  Mixed vegetables and canned vegetarian chili atop a dense cornbread bottom.  If you make this dish, know what else you'll be looking at?  An empty dinner table!  An empty dishwasher!  Because you've got everything you need in one casserole!

Cornbread-Chili Bake

1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups boiling water
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cans (15 oz) fat-free vegetarian chili
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen mixed veg, thawed and drained

Preheat oven to 350.  Bring water to a boil, then gradually whisk in cornmeal and salt.  Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until mixture is thick.  Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 c. of the cheese.  Spread cornmeal into a sprayed 13 x 9 baking dish.  Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.

Top the baked cornbread layer with vegetables, then chili, then cheese.  Bake another 15 minutes until cheese is melted.  Let casserole sit about 5-10 minutes before serving.

And, then, yeah.  Just place it on the table, and let people dig in.  You'll feel odd for several minutes...the feeling that you're forgetting something.  It will pass.  Eventually, you'll feel a great relief because you've just made a one-stop-shop dish that your family actually likes!  Save the laden-table dream for tomorrow.

Note: There's opportunity for real variety here.  Mix in some Parmesan, ground beef/turkey, spaghetti sauce for a lasagna-ish feel.  Use meat chili, leftover beef stew (as long as it's thick).  Leave off the cheese.  Use Jiffy boxed mix instead of cornmeal (although skip the eggs in the prep - big and fluffy is not desirable for this ensemble).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...