Skip to main content

C: Chipotle and Chorizo

I seem to be moving along the spice-meat lines here with this alphabet challenge.  Alas.

Today's kitchen experimentations involve ingredients which have become more mainstream over the last few years.  One has been recently taken over a big damned fast-food franchise (which shall remain nameless) and one IS the name of another big, damned food franchise.

I'm going to set the record straight.  In that relatively ignorant manner in which international foods are talked about by Americans who may or may not know what they're talking about.  Moderation, people, is the key here.  That, and don't believe everything you read.

Honestly, try to sort of believe everything you read here.  I try to keep it legit.  It's just, well, chorizo and chipotle are foods native to a culture that I am not...so I won't claim to be an expert.  Long time learner, folks.

Here in my hometown, there's a sweet, sweet, sweet, authentic taco truck...and they offer chorizo as one of the fillings in their burritos, tacos, or tortas.  If this place didn't offer lengua (tongue), I'd be all over the chorizo.  I first became familiar with this Spanish-originated sausage in culinary school...so I've only really been intimate with it - oh, three or four years?  (Good gravy, that is by far the most perverted thing I think I've ever typed on my blog)

Chorizo is typially a pork product.  And it's Spanish, and those guys use everything.  Pork fat, pork parts, etc. If you buy chorizo in Iowa at your everyday grocery store, the odds are good you'll pick up a brand called Cacique...and the ingredient list will look like this:


Not sure what soy flour is doing in there, but alas, it's par for the course around here.  It's a tough thing...chorizo is gaining popularity with us Midwesterners, but to just import it from Spain to southeast Iowa?  Yeah, not going to happen, unless I want to pay A LOT of pesos.  Which a.) I don't and b.) I can't, because no les tengo, if you catch my meaning.

So, leave to the you-know-whats at McDonald's to capitalize on this new food trend.  Chorizo burritos.  Which...incidentally, sound incredible, right? Yummy, spicy pork bits with scrambled egg cheese and a tortilla?

But, not from McDonald's, friends.  NOT from there.  Usually, when I go to a Mexican place, I'll order the Huevos con Chorizo, and they'll include the tortillas.  And that, readers, is the way to get your chorizo burritos.

But I digress.

Here's what I did with my tube of Pork Salivary Glands.  I took Justin Chapple's recipe for Cheater Chorizo Burger, and left out the vinegar and hot paprika (still went with Spanish paprika, though).  After softening up a diced onion and minced garlic in medium-heated olive oil, I added only a pound of ground pork and the above tube of "chorizo" before I added all those spices listed in the recipe and let it brown up.  And then, guess what?  I found a half-open can of...

in my refrigerator.  So, I minced the peppers left in the can and added them (sauce too) to my spicy meat mix.  As a psuedo-journalist, it would be remiss of me not to mention that I really did not just brainstorm this amazing, spicy combination all by myself.  I used the chipotles because they began with the letter 'C', and appropriate for today's blog post.


Then, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of black beans, a can of dark red kidney beans went into the mess.  A pinch of salt later, I tossed the entire pot into my crockpot to stay warm for dinnertime.

The youngest tester said it was "pretty" spicy.  However, he managed to choke it down after diluting the spice down with plenty of crackers and cheddar cheese (thus, sullying the purity, sigh).  Nobody else complained, and it was rather enjoyed by all.

And now, off to research the archives (mental and otherwise) for 'D' inspiration!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil