Skip to main content

Attempts at Worldwide Domination

Checking my stats page every now and then is always an illuminating thing.  In the last week, I've had hits from not only the US, but from places like China, Indonesia, Belarus, and even freaking Sri Lanka!  Hell yes!

In all likelihood, these hits are purely accidental and are the result of a janky Google search for something NOT even remotely related to anything here at Be Food.  However, it matters not.

I noticed that two important countries were missing from the Stats-Hits page: Ethiopia and Mexico.  And I hope that changes right now.

A couple of days ago, some friends of ours suggested a new restaurant in a town about a half-hour from here.  Safari Ethopian-Eritrean restaurant.  Okay, I'll admit, I know nothing about Ethiopian cuisine...but I couldn't wait.


Our friends had gone once before and were really only able to tell us that it was a.) good and b.) bereft of silverware.  Truly, the ultimate international finger food.  This was a 15-inch diameter platter, so plenty of food, and under fifteen dollars too.  The teff flatbread is on the right, and that was the "silverware", so to speak.  I had the lamb, which had a curry and cardamom flavor to it, and it was delicious.  I was impressed...and I will be back.

The next day, I paid homage to our friends south of the border.  A slow-cooked pork loin, swimming in a yummy molé sauce.  Molé is a sauce found a lot in Latin American countries, and is typically a little darker, smokier, and sweeter than straight up red chile pepper sauce.


Naturally, as you all know, I have a hard time totally following a recipe in its entirety...which is both a blessing and a curse.  The recipe was pretty basic, and I decided to see what I could do with a favorite beverage of mine.

I sauteéd up some red onions before dumping a cup or so of New Belgium's Cocoa Molé beer.  Once that reduced down, I added the tomatoes, tortilla pieces, raisins, garlic, and jalapeño.  More beer was added, but not as reduced, before the whole lot went into the food processor with some fresh cilantro.  After about thirty seconds of puree, I had a yummy chunky sauce to pour all over my pork.  The two then spent the rest of the day getting to know each other in the crockpot before being shredded for carnitas (of sorts).

I just can't help but think what fools we all are if we content ourselves with (generally) bland American cuisine.  And frankly, I'm offended that we settle for McDonalds, and think the local Asian buffets are the best Chinese we're ever going to get.  And that's all I have to say about that.

In other news: I have a totally full day off tomorrow.  I seriously thought about trying a new place for lunch in my state's capital...but sometimes it's only fun to do that if you've got someone to go with you, and I don't.  Alas.  Don't feel sorry for me, though, I got a gift card to a local spa/salon, and I am blowing the whole amount on an hour and a half massage!

Happy Hump Day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil