Skip to main content

A Post For All You Breakfast Lovers

And I know you are legion.  People who eat, love, and think about breakfast foods.  No matter the time of day, pancakes or scrambled eggs always sound good.

Where are all my brothers- and sisters-in-arms?

Here in the small town I live in, there are roughly four places to have breakfast.  One is a pastry/bakery, one is a kitchen within a grocery store, and two are restaurants.  The latter three all serve about the same thing: biscuits and gravy, pancakes, scrambled egg platters, etc.  Nothing too unusual...which concerns me, because eggs are a great creative vehicle.  Anyway...

I have spent a fair amount of time putting together a breakfast menu that I'd hope to implement some day.  There is no empirical data behind the menu development, so I really have no idea if some of these items would even go over that well.  I based the menu on things *I* would like to make and eat.  And I guess that's as good as a strategy as any, yes?

Let me know, breakfast lovers, what you think...would you stop and dine with me if you saw a menu like this?

TARTINES (a fancy French term for open-faced sandwich)
- The Kirby (cranberry mustard, spinach, fried egg, fresh-baked bread - toasted)
- Benedict (ham, poached egg, Hollandaise, bread)
- Apple + Cheddar (citrus butter, Granny Smith, Cheddar)
- Sunshine (bacon, scrambled egg, Cheddar)

SCRAMBLES
- Spanish (chorizo, potato, red pepper)
- Mediterranean (artichokes, black olives, spinach, feta cheese)
- Iowa (ham, bacon, potatoes, Cheddar cheese)
- Vegetable (peppers, mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, cheese)

QUICHES (egg pies!)
- Lorraine (bacon and Swiss cheese)
- Florentine (ham, spinach, Parmesan, and Swiss cheeses)
- Seasonal Vegetable

PANCAKES
- Buttermilk
- Blueberry
- Maple-Bacon

YOGURT with granola or fresh fruit or both

PASTRIES
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
- Muffin of the Week

I mean, I want to eat here...but I understand I'm insanely biased. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...