Skip to main content

What Am I Eating?

I have minced enough jalapeños for one day.  We'll just leave it at that.

In deliberating over today's blog post topic, I thought it was high time I talk about food.  Since...after all, I am here in a culinary capacity.

What I am eating, and what I am serving at the restaurant I work at are two TOTALLY different things.

I work with Jamaicans, mostly...and when they fix lunch (which is just about everyday), they fix red beans and rice and some kind of seasoned (jerk, adobo, etc.) chicken (that's been stewing all day).  Because it's been so slow, they've also taken to making breakfast this week as well. 

So, I've been having porridge in the morning.  And it is good, stick-to-the-bones stuff.  Oatmeal, milk, plantain, peanuts, nutmeg and other stuff cooked down and pureed together.  It's very thick and sustaining.


It is best when served warm.  I learned this today when I ate mine cold...distracted by having to make a pico de gallo.  Sheesh...what is this thing called work!?

Also, there are Filipinos in the kitchen, and they take the discarded chicken skins, season and flour them, and then fry them.  They are crispy on the outside and fatty/juicy on the inside.  A vinegar, onion, garlic dipping sauce goes with (common back home, they say).

I'm jealous, to be frank with you.  I wish I had that kind of unique cuisine-sense I could present.

Now.  I work in a restaurant that caters mostly to tourists and families.  There are some upper-end dishes; however, the kids' menu does contain chicken fingers. 


No.  These are not the kids' chicken fingers.  This one of the dishes I am responsible for.  A Wild Mushroom Ravioli with a Basil Cream.  I am responsible for making the cream itself, in addition to preparing it to order.  I also make the basil and parsley oils that are drizzled over the top of the dish.  All that's missing are some pink peppercorns.

Comments

  1. Perhaps you could make ham balls as the food of your people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...