Skip to main content

Super Bowl Synchronicity




=

My kind of Super Bowl

It's Super Bowl Sunday, readers.  Which really means nothing to me, honestly.  I have no vested interest, I have no favorites, I have no great love of the game.

But what I do have, dear readers, are two phenomenal food-and-wine pairings for you today.

The Vertikal Riesling with the Spicy Garlic Shrimp.  The Vertikal is fine for drinking by itself (which means, on the sweet side), but it really gains a new life when drank with the spicy, garlicky, srirachy flavors of the shrimp.

The Vertikal is a bit nebulous.  The label indicates the wine was made in the Mosel river region in Germany, which is a very good thing.  But, it's imported to the States by an American wine company...and it's not out of the question for a conversation between American importers and German winemakers to go like this:

Am: Hey, there, German wine people.  We've got a great way to sell your wine here in the States.

Germ: Oh yeah, how's that then?

Am: We know that a true Riesling is on the dry side, but we can sell more of it if it's a little sweeter.  Americans like sweeter wine, and they like feeling like they're drinking European wines.  What do you say?  Your wine, sweeten it up a little, and we'll sell it for you?

Germ: It goes against everything we believe in, but ach, we need the marks.  Okay.

There you go.  It probably happened very similar to that.

Pairing #2

Ignore the scratched-off price tag.  That's the way it is around here

=
A pretty good pairing, although not as good as the Riesling/Shrimp

For dinner tonight, the kids chose a tasty, fun French bread pizza.  The main base, though, was Ranch dressing and mozzarella cheese.  Interesting, right?  I mean, what wine does one pair with a Hidden Valley Ranch dressing?

All research points to a Chardonnay (maybe a Pinot Gris).  So, that's what I bought.  For some weird reason, Brent bought the Black Swan brand on Chardonnay...and it's not because he's a fan of the movie (because he certainly is not).  This wine was gorgeous to pour, that dark golden color...I mean, just pure spun gold.  The taste was okay, nothing terrible, but nothing to write home about either.  It paired well with the pizza, and I definitely noticed more caramel notes coming out of the wine as I ate the pizza.

And, on a plus note, making the pizza allowed me to use up the rest of my Hidden Valley Ranch dressing.  Now I can go another three years before buying another bottle (not really, but one can wish).

Go Bears!  Or Bulls!  Or Bottles of Wine!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil