Skip to main content

Run, Rabbit. Run.

PETA is probably going to have a cow (no harm to the cow, of course) after reading this post.

Let that be your warning, readers.

Rabbits are nice.  We associate them with Easter, springtime, cuteness, sex, and of course,
Bugs Bunny.

My experience with them today was, well...a little different.

First of all, my rabbit was dead.  Not only that, but it came in a cellophane-wrapped, cool-storage-friendly package.  In about seven parts.

Our chef-instructor told us yesterday to mentally prepare ourselves for what he called a Market Basket Activity.  Sort of like Iron Chef or Chopped, or all those other shows on Food Network I never watch.  He would give us some kind of protein, and we would have two hours to create a plated entreĆ©.

What fun, yes?!

And so the assignments of meats began.  Two of my friends were assigned duck.  Another got tilapia.  Another was given pork belly.  Ground beef, tuna, catfish, pork tenderloin, etc., etc.  And finally, my teacher called my name.  My assigned protein?  The fabricated rabbit.

I've never cooked rabbit.  I've never eaten rabbit either.  So, preparing it was bound to be gooood times.  Thankfully, my teacher informed me that rabbit was quite lean...which told me straightaway that roasting/baking would not be a good idea.  A lean cut of meat lacks moisture (or fat that melts and moisturizes during cooking).  Grilling or broiling would probably not give me the texture or finish I was looking for.

So, I finally opted for braising.  Submerge the browned rabbit pieces in a liquid mix of beef broth, red wine, mirepoix, and for fun, chocolate and chorizo; then, place in an oven set to low for a few hours.  Easy-peasy-pleasy.  But, I still had the pesky loin pieces left...the ribs were still attached and there wasn't much meat to write home about.

What to do?  A frenched rack of rabbit, of course...with a wheat germ and herb crust.  Of course!

For plating, I also did a carrot and potato pureƩ, which you'll no doubt see in the pictures.

Surprisingly, the final product tasted good.  The braising renders the meat tender and yummy, and the richness of the chocolate-chorizo was present in every bite of rabbit.  The frenched rabbit was okay; I mean, it's more novelty than anything...you hardly get much to eat with the frenched rack.

But still.  It's just so darned cute.  Dead rabbit and all.  Erm.

The rack of rabbit atop the carrot and potato pureƩs

Same kind of presentation, but I tried being more fancy-pantsy

As you can see, plate presentation is NOT my fortĆ©.  I hope to get better at this when I go on internship in a few weeks.

In the meantime, Run, Rabbit, Run...right onto this here plate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...