Skip to main content

Glazy Days

The work hiatus is over.  The holidays are a memory.  I officially reported for my first day back to work this past Friday, and thankfully, it was a Burger night (easy for me, prep-wise), and the weather was right around 30 degrees, a comfortable temperature for grilling in a little kitchen trailer.

Next weekend is a fondue dinner and a Super Bowl appetizer demo.  And nothing says Super Bowl like chicken wings, right?  One of the demo items are Apple-Jalapeno Chicken Wings.  The chicken wings part is easy; my job is to make up the glaze.

Surprisingly, the Google only turned up a couple of easy, decent glaze recipes.  One, which I have pictures of below, involve chopped apples, brown sugar, and some other stuff, cooked down into a compote-type form.  Does this strike anyone else as weird?  Compote does not really equal glaze for me...I mean, glazes are smooth, shiny, and sexy.  Compotes are chunky, thick, and rustic.  I don't think of glazing my wings with compote.  Alas.  So, after several minutes of some serious recipe rumination...it occurred to me that making a glaze is way easier than cooking down fruit.  That's what fruit preserves already are...cooked-down fruit.

A Tale of Two Glazes
The glaze on the left was WAY easier to make...and here's how simple it is.  1/2 jar apple jelly, 1/4 cup jalapeño juice (the briny stuff from the jarred jalapeños), and 10 jalapeños, diced...heated up in a small saucepan until jelly melted.  And that's it.  The second one involved chopping up of apples, measuring of water, denuding of thyme stems, and other sundry measurements and gathering before dumping all in a saucepan to simmer on the stovetop for about 25 minutes (the liquid was nearly gone).  Because then it was really chunky, I puréed it in my processor for a couple of minutes.  The above is the final product.

The chicken wings part was simple.

Oven at 375 degrees.  Rinse 2 lbs of wings and pat them dry.  No, really, dry those suckers like your life depends on it.  Then, rub them down with some olive oil (don't be a prude about it, massage the heck out of the wings - don't worry, they like it), and season well with salt and pepper.  Place on them on a wire rack on a foil-lined baking sheet.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.  When you pull them, you're looking for crispy skin.  Brush a liberal amount of the glaze of your choice over them.  Bake them for another 15 minutes.  Glaze them again once you've pulled them from the oven.

Eat.  It's one hell of a wingding.

If your grocery store is anything like mine (better, probably), you'll have dozens of jam and jelly types to choose from.  It would be amazing fun to try this recipe with different flavors (as of this typing, I am dreaming of a blackberry-ginger-sage glaze).  You are only limited by what you CAN'T glaze (this list is very small and includes things like your shoes, pets, or children).

Glaze on!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil