Skip to main content

Stockpile Recipes, Not Arms

I can hardly resist the magazine aisle at any grocery store/Walmart/gas station.  The explosion in culinary magazines available to everyday readers like me is pretty exciting stuff.

Whole magazines devoted to wine.  To wine with food.  To cookies.  To healthy eating.  To gluten-free eating.  And on and on and on.  Invariably, I leaf through the pages, drool over the food photography, read the articles and tear out any recipes it was likely I'd try.

Erm.  Let me clarify.  I BUY the magazine and take it home first...and then do all that I listed above.  I do not, as a habit, vandalize periodicals I have not paid for.

Sometime earlier this summer, I'd purchased a magazine titled Eating Well.  And I'd clipped out this recipe:

Strawberry-Rhubarb Quinoa Pudding

I mean, I like strawberry and I like quinoa.  AND - I have a half-bag of it in the pantry that I need to use.

What better time to try it, yes?  I knew you'd agree with me.

It doesn't get much more simpler than this.  Boil water, fruit (frozen, straight outta da bag), quinoa, cinnamon, and salt...then reduce to a simmer.  Cover, let sit for about 20 minutes.  Then, add sugar and zest (I didn't have, so I used a splash of juice).  In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water together and mix that into the hot mixture.  Cook for another 2 - 3 minutes until it really thickens up.

Then, pour into into small cups/dishes and chill for an hour.  Done and done.

I didn't do the yogurt topping.  I opted instead to do a quick whipped cream.

The youngest boy really liked it, and he is by far the pickiest kid in the family.  Everyone else cleaned their bowls...and that's always a good sign.  The fruit cooked down into mush, but the flavor was wonderful, and I couldn't help thinking about other fruit-flavor combos to test in the future.  After reading some of the recipe reviews online, I will cut the sugar in half the next time I try this.

This was the picture that went with the recipe in the Eating Well magazine.  Obviously they can pay for food stylists and the like.

Yeah.  And this how the photography works at my house.  My house is so poorly-lit, it's not even funny.

Comments

  1. OK, this is a good idea. Thanks. (except for whipping cream, which goes straight to the heart muscle and sticks)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I, too, like strawberries and quinoa! And pudding! It's a sign that I need to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...