Skip to main content

The Blur That Is December

November is over (okay, alright, you sticklers, it's been over for two days now), and I shall take today's blog opportunity to recap the month.

Another NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is in the books, and I wrote another novel.  Every year I try to write in a different genre (Mainstream, Chick Lit (x2), Young Adult) and for 2013, I tried my hand at a murder mystery.  Since I'm not much of a murder mystery reader, it was rather difficult to write.  However, it is done, and I think it came out a little like a Janet Evanovich hybrid or something.  I reckon I ought to begin editing it soon.

It's also time to catch up on my reading as well.  Right now, I am working on A Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, and I've got Bram Stoker's Dracula and Shelley's Frankenstein on the list next (I've just recently watched the movie Van Helsing, can you tell?).

Food-wise, the Christmas menu planning is well underway.  For those tuning into to TTOW, BF for the 1st time, our family (and my parents) choose a theme every year for the Christmas Day meal.  We've done this for the last three years, and our themes have included: Mediterranean, Hawaiian, and Cajun.

This year, we're taking a page out of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, and recreating the Cratchits' Christmas Eve meal...so far, it's looking like this:

Roast Goose (pheasants if goose cannot be effectively procured)
Mashed Potatoes
Sage and Onion Stuffing
Applesauce
Christmas/Plum Pudding

It's a Tiny Tim Christmas!!  They didn't have much...but after all, they had each other!

God Bless Us Everyone.

Comments

  1. I love the idea of a holiday meal theme! Our theme is typically "carbs," but yours are far more interesting. Can't wait to hear how your Cratchit Christmas turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...