Skip to main content

So Many Clever Titles...So Little Time!

I try not to play favorites.  I guess it comes from years and years of public education teaching and trying to keep things fair.

And that's why today's post has the title it does.  Because honestly, how could I choose from these potential headings?

Rubik's Cube Steaks

Fingerling-a-Ding-Dong Potatoes

Looking Dressed to Grill


You see my dilemma.

Anyway.  It's a lovely sunny Sunday here in the Midwest.  I don't have school tomorrow, but the kids do.  Severe storms are on their way.  My environs are lovingly arrang'd.  There's nothing left for me to do today except cook dinner.  And my heating method of choice - The Grill, because remember, fire and meat no longer daunt me.

Fingerling potatoes here, soon to be halved, oiled, seasoned, and roasted on a Pampered Chef Veg Tray over the open flame for 25 minutes.  Purple potatoes?  PURPLE potatoes!


Next up.  Ten cube steaks (minute steaks, blade steaks, etc.), prepared two different ways.  The first five spent half the day in a red wine-olive oil-garlic-lime juice marinade before being thrown onto the grill (after I'd taken the potatoes off and removed them to a warm oven to hold).  The second five were done in the manner of American housewives, circa 1982 = dredged in a seasoned (salt, pepper, thyme) flour and pan-fried.

The tell-tale golden brownish crust from the pan-fry.
The marinated meat was juicy and tasty, but were very fragile when turning on the grill.   Something to keep in mind if that bothers you...steaks that fall apart when manhandled improperly.  Then again, the same could be said for the human race, yes?

The tell-tale juicy look and grill marks from the grill.
From a personal standpoint, I preferred the grilled version.  I thought the marinade flavors came through better (subtle, though), although it was hard to miss the thyme in the pan-fried version.  Grilling the steaks is a little healthier as well...but of course, you all knew that!

Happy Grilling and Hail, Summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...