Skip to main content

I Know, I Know!

I left you all hanging, didn't I?  Ranted and raved about some great culinary book I've started, made promises to talk about it, and then I didn't.

My apologies.  I had every intention of making remarks, but well, this book got in the way...

Image courtesy of St. John's Source
I'm at the library with the two younger Nelsons, and I have no intention of getting anything, except what my kids decide to check out.

But, I pass by the New Non-Fiction! section, and I am drawn to this book.  And yeah, I hardly every turn down the pull when it comes to a certain book.

So, now you know where I've been and what I've been up to.  Let's talk a little bit about the book I promised I would.

As a reminder, the book I've started is titled Ruhlman's Twenty: 20 Techniques, 100 Recipes, A Cook's Manifesto.  I don't really know much about Michael Ruhlman, but that he's collaborated with chefs like Thomas Keller, done an extensive amount of food writing, and made appearances on some Food Network shows (which puts me off at first, until I realized an appearance is way different from being in every single episode because it's your show).

The first chapter of this book is called "Think", and I think it's a pretty profound place to start.  With all the preprocessed, prepackaged, and precooked foods in our supermarkets, consumers don't think much about food.  Recipes and cookbooks produce a similar side effect.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love my cookbooks and I do follow recipes, but think about it, we're just following directions.  We're not doing much thinking at all, unless we stray from the recipe (which a good many of us do).  We don't stop much to consider reactions or processes of food and why the recipe says to do it a certain way.

Ruhlman implores us to begin doing just that.  He starts with an idea that is VERY familiar to me and my classmates - Mise en Place or Keeping Everything In Its Place.  It's what allows restaurants and home cooks alike to move effortlessly and efficient around their workspaces, and ultimately, put out a good product.

But he takes it one step further.  He says it's not only important to get yourself ready mentally for the culinary task at hand by thinking about what should be there, he says it's equally important to think what shouldn't be there.  Clutter, your car keys, garbage, etc.  If your workspace is a mess, so is your brain - and you're basically screwed then from the get-go.

This chapter was short, and really did not contain any new information...but it reinforced the importance for me of organizing, planning, and envisioning the entire process from start to finish.

One does not just simply walk into a kitchen and whip up good product.  Indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...