Skip to main content

Yolk's On Me

Another wonderful, punderful Monday.

I would like to talk about eggs.  Easter being right around the corner and all.

Eggs are wonderful.  Really.  Not only are they the universal symbol of life and rebirth, but they are also incredibly versatile and delicious.

By themselves and one or two other key ingredients, they make an easy breakfast dish.  Add some flour and fat, and you have popovers, cookies, cakes...ad bakery infinitum.

I am always a little saddened when I hear of someone suffering from an egg allergy.  Chocolate, okay.  Seafood, fine.  Wheat, probably better for you anyway.  But, eggs?  Sad sad sad.  Sorry, but today's post won't be for you.

I used to not think too much about cracking an egg for a frittata or quiche or brownies or carbonara sauce.  Eggs are cheap, just an integral part of the recipe.  When I began to think of my food as simple and unfettered, though, I began to think simple ways to prepare eggs.  Ways in which I would only need two other things: water and heat.


This photo above illustrated a soft-boiled egg.  The yolk is not quite runny, but still has that liquidy look to it.  Perfect for including in a pasta or soup dish in which, once broken, the yolk slowly oozes its golden deliciousness all over whatever thing is being eaten.  Soft-boiled eggs are also referred to as "jammy" and that is a perfect adjective.  Jammy eggs are my preferred way to eat eggs like this, as it is my daughter's...and it's heartening to know my DNA is doing its job. 

How to get a perfect jammy egg?  A pot of water, brought to the boil, drop eggs in carefully and set your timer for six-and-a-half-minutes.  Not seven, not five and thirty.  Six and a half minutes.  Remove carefully and place in ice-cold water.  Peel and go to town.  Or, do up a bunch at one time and refrigerate until you want to use.  Then, heat up a cup of water in the micro and place the egg in it for a minute-ish to rewarm.  Trust.


This here is your classic hard-boiled egg.  For me, all this egg needs a little salt & pepper or even Tajin seasoning right before it goes into my belly.  Our State Fair does these suckers on a stick, by the hundreds, with a little Lawry's seasoning salt.  Always a stop for me whenever I go.  Again, a pot of water brought to the boil, place the eggs in and let them swim around for about 13 minutes.  Turn off the heat and let them sit and think about their eggy lives for another two minutes or so.  An ice-cold water bath later, they're ready to peel and eat straight away.  OR...you could turn them into deviled eggs (like my husband would want) or dice them up for an egg or potato salad (like the rest of America would want).

Above, you are upclose and personal with a poached egg.  Poached is another way I love eggs, but only at home.  If I go out for breakfast somewhere and respond with "Poached, please" when the waitress asks how I want my eggs done, I usually get the confused Death Stare.  Better to save that skill for Chez Nelson.  The problem with poaching eggs, though, is all that filmy egg white that hangs on for dear life during cooking.  Gums up my spoon, my pot, my life.  So...I separate the egg white before poaching, and - Problem Solved.  This little egg trick also solves the problem of the egg-to-toast ratio...there's always enough toast to soak up the sun here, if you get what I'm saying.  I don't have waste precious carbohydrates on the crispy egg white.

Currently, the state I live in is still in the final, undying throes of winter.  It's gray right now, and rainy, and chilly.  Eggs are sunshine.  And don't we all just need more of that anyway? 

If you like it, then you should've put an egg on it (...is what Beyoncé's original lyrics were, I'm pretty certain).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil