Skip to main content

Resurrection! Revival! Revisit!

Last Sunday was Easter.  Jesus rose from the grave.  So goes the biblical lore.

I believe I mentioned in my last post that I was the lucky receiver of the Easter Hambone at my in-laws.  And yes, I did make ham broth in my crockpot this week.  And yes, we finally got around to having Ham and Bean Soup tonight.  Two cups of whatever dried beans you've got in the pantry (you DO have dried beans sitting around your house, right?), about four cups of the broth, two cups of water, and the shredded/diced bits of ham from the leftover Easter Ham you also got to take home with the bone.

Yes, yes...if you have the time, add some diced carrots, celery, and onions to the crockpot as well.  Low heat for 10 hours or so.  Have your husband make some cornbread...or you can make it, too, I guess, if he refuses.  But, *don't* have Ham and Bean Soup without it.  And diced fresh onions on top.  I always thought people ate H&B soup under these two parameters...but as I get older, I realize it's just my family's weird, little idiosyncrasies.  I do not apologize for them.  They make the soup delicious.

(Kirby added liberal amounts of hot sauce to her soup.  She adds hot sauce to just about everything. Weirdosauce.)

Big ol' calico navy beans on hand here.  A little too big, but still delicious.

Thus, resurrection a la Nelson.

There was a bit of panic last week for the food truck as I was preparing the gallon of tomato bisque and half-gallon of salami-kale soups for service.  Both are tomato-heavy, and I was quite dismayed when I tasted both and got that tell-tale acidic, almost-bitter taste at the end.  Too much acid, too much tomato.  Sometimes a little sugar will balance the acidity and set the world right, but I knew I did not want the sweet flavor of the sugar...which would inevitably present itself.  And I didn't want to dilute the soup by adding more liquid.

So I did chemistry.  Remember how cool it was when your elementary school teacher mixed vinegar and baking soda and it got all foamy and stuff?  At the time, it just seemed pretty cool...but now, it happens to be a lesson well-worth remembering in the culinary world.  A tablespoon or so of baking soda into the tomato soup, a stir to spread the soda out, and a few minutes to let soup bubble away...the overwhelming acidity was gone and the great flavor was back.

#2: Revival of a tomato-based soup, thanks to a complicated branch of science.

And finally, I'll admit work has been a struggle as of late.  Not necessarily the food truck, although I do wonder ALL the time if people have gone off of it.  Customer numbers are down, but there's so many factors that could be contributing to why, it's mind-boggling to try and sort it all out.  Hopefully warmer weather will bring out more sandwich-consuming people.  I never thought bartending would stress me out, but it too comes with its own set of issues...which frustrate me way beyond anything I ever encountered in education.  Alas.  'Twill work itself out or it won't, but at any rate, I've been feeling that it's definitely time to shift the mind focus away from those things I can't control.

It's time to start reading (and hopefully, writing) again.  I've got a stack of books at my bedside that I must pick back up again.  First on the list...

I bought this book last summer before the Wyoming road trip.  I just started it last night, hoping it might rekindle my food passion.  After all, Julia Child and James Beard should be enough to do it!

The book is written by Luke Barr, M.F.K. Fisher's great-nephew.  So, through his narrative, his notes, his interviews (maybe?), and his memories, he is charged with the description and discussion of a pivotal year in a pivotal place...in which "American Taste is Reinvented". 

Okay.

While I'm excited about the topic of this book, I'm less excited about the narrative voice...and I hope it doesn't spoil the book.  But...

The Prologue is 20 pages.  It begins with "On a cool August morning in 2009, I drove up a sloping, narrow driveway in Glen Ellen, California, on my way to visit the past."  And it ends with "As I read it, I knew: I had found the key to my story and to this book."

Twenty pages of reason and rationale.  As if Luke Barr feels he must not only establish the premise of the entire book, but his credibility as well.  I suppose it makes sense...after all, he is a rather marginal player in this story.  But twenty pages is a lot for a Prologue, I feel.  But, I'll read it and maybe my judgments will change.

Here's to a happy Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil