Skip to main content

November 18 - A Great Day for Tomato Marmalade

A little over a week until that great American holiday of Thanksgiving.  And the big furor this year are the number of shopping places that are announcing that they will open on Thanksgiving Day, in addition to Black Friday.  Of course, critics from sea to shining sea are outraged at the desecration of the sacred American Family Holiday.

You know, because we just can't have good family time any other day of the year besides Thanksgiving.

But, don't read that last sentence the wrong way.  Although close members of my family participate, I do not go Black Friday shopping...ergo, I would not consider shopping on Thanksgiving either.

To me, Thanksgiving is ALL ABOUT FOOD.  Of course it would be.

In fact, my mom and I already have our Thanksgiving meal planned.  I want to wait a few days...then, you'll all have your set Thanksgiving menus, and won't want to take my idea.

Let's just say it doesn't quite involve your mom's green bean casserole.  I'm not slagging green bean casserole...it's one of the great dishes that nourished our parents through the post-WWII years.  But...there is a lot to be improved upon there. 

In the midst of the new job, meal planning, writing a novel, and so on and so forth, I rediscovered the word document file folder on my laptop called: Heather's Recipes, with a subfolder of Recipes to Try.  These particular recipes are ones I culled during my time on the island, when I would take out the subscription to Bon Appetit magazine and copy down recipes I thought would be good.  I've decided to attempt making all these recipes within the next several weeks...and discard the mehs and keep the keepers.

So, tonight was a little on the light side...and as it's Ethnic Night at Chez Nelson, a little on the Italian side as well.

The actual recipe, courtesy of Bon Appetit, is found here.  The professional food stylist for Condé Nast decided the final product should look like this:

Yeah.  That's gorgeous.  Someone for Condé Nast is really earning their paycheck.  But, let's put this recipe in its appropriate context...I got this from the August issue of Bon Appetit, when beautiful, colorful, juicy tomatoes and herbs were at their peak, and the weather was still warm enough to crank on the grill

And when one doesn't make this dish until mid-November when it's really cold, snow is on the ground, and the grill is put away...well, modifications need to be made.  I would appreciate it greatly if you could withhold passing judgment for now.

This is what I got:

 I know.  Not nearly as pretty as the professional.  But, I think it would taste just as good, if not better.

So, one loaf of Italian bread (from scratch would be best, obviously), cut into thick slices (like 1/2" or so). One pint-ish of cherry tomatoes, halved, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, garlic, basil and parsley.

I was fresh out of minced garlic, so I used garlic powder.

I could only find fresh basil at the grocery, so I bought that.  No parsley, so I got that squeezy tube stuff.

The recipe calls for raw tomatoes, but I roasted mine, because I just like the flavor.  They got soft enough that I could lightly mash them into what I will now call Tomato Marmalade.  And Tomato Marmalade's got possibilities:  take out the basil and parsley and sub in cumin and cilantro....Boom!  Southwest!

And instead of grilling my bread, I baked/toasted in the oven for about 10-13 minutes.  A little salt and pepper sprinkle over the finished product, and it was chow time.  I'd bought a fancy little meat platter from Walmart, and we had that with the tomatoes and bread.  Awesome.  Light and relatively easy.

Would be much better in August, true.  But like I'm going to tell Condé Nast that.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil