Skip to main content

The Week of 40% Success

Whywhywhy, when I check my traffic stats, is there a referral site called "www.gaygalls.net"?  Who's coming here from a weird place like that?  Go to the Google, freaks, where you all belong!

And now, we breathe.  Ommmm...

My class reunion was this weekend, and while there isn't much to say about it in relation to food, there certainly are things to say about it.  I mean to tackle that in a soonerratherthanlater post.

But today, let's recap the challenge I set for myself roughly one week ago.  I decided to make a conscious effort to use those oft-looked over foodstuff items in my inventory, namely quinoa, arborio rice, pinto beans, rice paper, and barley.

And here, at the week's end, things stand as thus:

First up was the barley.  That bag should be gone after today, when I make up a batch of Beef Barley soup for the testers at the Winery (indeed, what wine goes with a Beef Barley?  I'm putting my money on a Pinot).

Then, in what could be called the big success of the week, one package of the rice paper is now MIA.  Brent made a slapdash version of spring rolls on Wednesday, using whatever provisions were available in the refrigerator...

Which is the great, great thing about these rolls.  We used shrimp, but any other kind of protein would work too (alas, though, I cannot support the use of peanut butter as a spring roll filling...maybe as a sauce).  We used julienned carrots for the veg, but I'd like to try it with shredded napa cabbage.  Fresh herbs would also be amazing here.

We whipped up a quick dipping sauce, and in the future, I would NOT use chili sauce, as it reminded me strongly of a seasoned ketchup - not what I was going for.

Although I liked the chewy, starchy rice paper-y texture, the kids thought it a bit weird...so I think I'd like to try frying them in the Fry Daddy next time.  Just for something different.
The husband was quite proud of these, and he should be.  It was a good and efficient use of resources, i.e. leftover cold spaghetti noodles, bell peppers from the garden, etc.

Tossed with some salt and pepper, dried herbs, and then rolled into the excellent little funhouse you see here.

Those are the successes.  Failures include: not using the remaining arborio, quinoa, and pinto beans.  But, it's a new week...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...