Skip to main content

Sugar and Spice and Everything Else

Kids in general are fairly curious people, wouldn't you say?  Some kids are dangerously so, while others are spiteful about it.  For example, what parent hasn't told their child to not touch a hot stovetop?  Not many.  And many sensibly curious kids will not touch the stovetop, because after all, a parent's warning is good enough for them.

But for those edgy, spiteful types?  The warning is not enough.  The curiosity burns inside them.  And, later, outside of them burns too when they defiantly place their hand on the red-hot burner.

For the record, I was not the latter type of child.  And probably for that reason, I've never had a broken bone (save a fractured nose), a hospital stay that did not involve birthing my children, or a Twitter-Instagram-Youtube worthy "situation".

I do hope my latest fit of curiosity does not land me in any trouble, on Facebook or otherwise.

In my baking class, we've been talking about cookies, and I've noticed that most recipes call for granulated sugar, or in the case of chocolate chip, etc, a brown sugar-gran sugar mix.  For whatever reason beyond reason, I was impelled to ask my instructor if I could substitute powdered sugar for all the granulated sugar in the recipe?  He chuckled, and explained that it likely wouldn't turn out right (Think: parent tells child stovetop is HOT).  So then, I ask what would happen.  Patiently he gives me another reason why the switch is a bad idea, but I forget what exactly he says because I'm already thinking about trying it (Think: child contemplates the warning and puts her hand on the hot stove anyway, despite the very prudent warning).

And that indeed is what I did spend my afternoon doing (no, not touching hot stovetops).  Referencing my baking textbook, Professional Baking, I did three separate batches of chocolate chip cookies, three different sugar variations.  Three test subjects, three different opinions.


The cookie at the bottom of the triad is the original recipe - brown sugar and granulated sugar.  Going clockwise, the next version is the brown sugar-powdered sugar mix.  The lightest-colored cookie is 100% powdered sugar.  Just by looking, the color of all three is the obvious difference.  The original version browned the most (all three were in the oven for 12 minutes), and as expected, the 100% powdered sugar is the lightest.  Also, 100% powdered cookie is cracked on the top, and has a definite sugar cookie look to it.  It's hard to tell here but the brown sugar-powdered mix has slightly more spread, while the 100% powdered seemed to have raised the most (but not by much more than the original).  

Tastewise, there honestly was not much difference between the first two...they were both yummy.  However, the 100% powdered was more crumbly and definitely tasted more like a sugar cookie (except with, you know, chocolate chips).  

I'm not really sure what I was expecting, something radical, I'm sure...but there's not much to say regarding this experiment.  There are nuances in tastes, sure, and a serious chocolate chip cookie lover (or my baking teacher) would probably taste the brown sugar-powdered sugar version and suspect something was amiss.  The rest of us would probably blissfully scarf them down, oblivious.

In regards to my test subjects' opinions, Kirby liked the brown sugar-powdered sugar version better, whilst Spencer preferred the original.  Elliot asked me to repeat the question, and I was distracted by something else before I heard what his preference was.

So there you have it.  Use powdered sugar.  Or don't.  Put your hand on the searing hot stovetop.  Or don't.  Either way, you'll probably learn something!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil