Skip to main content

2013 Is Here, and So Am I!

Laissez les bon temps rouler...as the French say...let the good time times roll!  One of my New Year's Resolutions is to seriously think about (and then enact) a real and present purpose for my two blogs here at blogspot.  Honestly, I haven't blogged at http://wishyouwereherehdnelson.blogspot.com/ for several months now, and I'm hanging on by a dear thread here at Be Food.  And while I don't like the idea of discontinuing the blogs, I'm trying to simplify things as much as possible around here, especially while I'm in school. 

Anyway, onto the pictures.  This year's Christmas Day dinner theme was Cajun.  We spent the holiday in Texas with my brother, and he and I went back and forth on a theme.  Italian - no.  Mexican - no.  Eclectic - no.  He finally let slip that he was deep-frying the turkey Cajun-style, and I said that's it...there's the theme. 

And here's the menu:

The turkey attempts to put up a fight before going into the fryer


Here's the appetizer spread: crabcakes, muffaletta bites, and Cajun meatballs

Shrimp etouffee
Sweet Potato Pie

Caramel Apple Cheesecake


Everything pictured here is from scratch (the rice for the etouffee was from a bag), and I forgot to get pictures of the Buttermilk Biscuits.  My sister in law made a green bean casserole, and we all let the good times roll!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...