Skip to main content

My Thanksgiving, in Pictures




So, with a whole eight weeks of culinary school under my belt, I felt totally qualified to volunteer to host the in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner.  However, shortly after I committed us to the job, I was working on my mise en place.  The menu (or at least what I was providing) was completed within a couple of weeks, and I used the remaining time to "test" out the recipes on my family (they were willing participants).

The turkey, the centerpiece, the piece de resistance...how was I going to do it?  Enter NPR (National Public Radio).  I happened to be driving to or from school when I heard Alton Brown being interviewed about dos and don'ts of Turkey Preparation (don't - stuff your turkey or baste it).  He mentioned brining as a method of preparation, and right there is when I knew I wanted to try THAT for my turkey.  Then, he talked about 'spatchcocking', and that sounded less appealing (the concept, that is...the word itself is actually very appealing to say).  

After that initial exposure, I began to see brining all over the place...in my daily recipe inbox, on the Google, etc.  I'd planned to go with a straight up sea salt and water brine when I found this at a organic food grocery some days ago. 

Courtesy of Urban Accents and Gateway Market, Des Moines, IA

Read instructions on container label.  Execute said instructions.  Done.  This here is how Mr. Turkey looked this morning at 8 am.  I took the liberty of covering him up with a little olive oil and poultry rub before bunging him in the oven.  The only thing I regret here is that I did not get a picture of the bird after it came out...because I was so awed by its perfect appearance.  It truly looked like a bird you'd see on the cover of Family Circle or similar.  And my in-laws crowed with compliments about its juiciness.

We're sorry we had to eat you, Mr. Turkey, but we're kinda not.  You were delicious.



I'd tried this recipe out on my family a couple weeks before the Big Day.  Earning rave reviews, I decided to do this Green Bean Casserole Stuffed Mushroom recipe because a.) the family liked it; b.) I love mushrooms; c.) it's a departure from the typical cream of mushroom soup laden dish common to Thanksgiving tables everywhere.


Here's the cauliflower au gratin.  Gotta represent the white vegetable.  I used yellow cauliflower the first time I tested this recipe, and it was amazing!  And of course, in my intent to duplicate the dish for the Big Day, I couldn't find the yellow.  White only.  However, I would love to try making this again, maybe with some of that frozen cauliflower-broccoli mix?  Honestly, I'd do this dish in lieu of mashed potatoes...but, my in-laws are old-school people, so potatoes were on the menu!


And this guy here is the stuffing.  My mother-in-law was quite nervous, because, let's face it, this is not your traditional sage and bread stuffing.  This here's a sausage and cabbage combo, courtesy of the folks at Taste of Home.  It scored high marks with the family, but I knew there was room for improvement.  More bread cubes, for example.  When I prepared this dish in advance yesterday, I made my own tweaks, like: I used half white cabbage, half red cabbage (although my father-in-law said he liked the red cabbage, I didn't like how the color faded and bled out).  I threw in some oysters and a Maiitake mushroom for fun.  And definitely, this stuffing recipe is a keeper.  However, the next time I make it, I'll use way less sausage.

Items I don't have personal pictures of and it's too bad because they were cool:

My cranberry upside down cake and the endive-goat cheese-fig bites.  To my in-laws' credit, most of them tried the bites (even though they'd never had any of the ingredients before).  The cake competed with an apple and cherry pie in the dessert category...thus, suffice it to say we have plenty of that left.  :) 

So that you have visual, I thank Williams-Sonoma and Chow.com for their photos of these dishes.



I admit, I now feel a little lost now that I don't have a major menu to plan and prepare for.  How long till Christmas?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along

Go Placidly

My food truck business started back up this past weekend, and from here until November, the weeks will be packed.  Sandwich-slinging Thursday-Saturday and bartending work Monday-Wednesday.  And Sunday, I guess, is the day to sleep in and hide in my house. Hiding out is the one thing I feel like doing a lot of these days.  My food truck's ReOpening wasn't the only thing happening in my hometown this weekend past.  A 13-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed on Saturday and then yesterday, the police department busted one of the biggest meth labs in a long time. Both are tragic...one is a sad loss, one that will devastate a loving family for the rest of their lives.  One is tragic only because of the profound stupidity/ignorance/addiction of a few people who happen to be living in a town mostly filled with good-hearted, hard-working people. And if it's not drama at the local level, then there's the constant bombardment of news that seems to be vividly illustr

A Burst Bubble (Sort Of...)

My first class of the day starts at 7 a.m.  I have a half-hour drive to school.  I leave my house around 6:15 a.m.  I wake up at 5:30 a.m., shower, get dressed, complete my morning toilette, and get my school materials together. Guess what I don't usually have time for?  A sit-down breakfast.  Enter this essential item right here: I won't ever skip breakfast.  I just won't do it.  There are some things I believe to be sacred.  But, because of time constraints, I'm obligated to take my breakfast on the road.  In a sippy glass. It's not a SlimFast shake.  It's not water.  It's not orange juice.  It's not chocolate milk. It's a homemade veggie-fruit smoothie.  And I love them.  By the time I arrive to school, my glass is empty, and I'm totally full.  And, I've had a good whopping serving of my fruit and veg for the day.  However, with every good thing, it needs to be evaluated from time to time.  You know, just to make sure it stil