Skip to main content

The Chili Armada

Happy Mother's Day out there to all past, present, and future moms...not to mention those of you with maternal-type inclinations.

Did I leave anybody out?

Today I did a smidge of housework.  I also contemplated doing schoolwork, which I figured could wait until tomorrow.

Instead, I spent the morning in the kitchen (naturellement!) and the afternoon eating food and drinking wine at a Mother's Day brunch held at the local winery.  I probably don't have to detail for you how *that* turned out.  Food, wine, my mom...it was like Margarita Garage Sales '09 all over again!

Anyway, more about the kitchen bit.

This week coming up is probably the busiest one of the spring. The hubs and I are in a community theater radio show that is happening on Friday night, so rehearsals all week long.  Then, three kids in soccer means practice on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and game on Friday.  However, this week, I am prepared!  By that, I mean:

1. Four pounds of premade sloppy joes.

2. A ginormous Paula Deen stockpot full of chili (finished up canned mushrooms and black beans - yay!)

3. Usage of the wilting spinach baby leaves in a super-batch of Spinach-Tortellini soup - for lunch this week.

There is absolutely no reason to eat out in a restaurant this week, not with a stockpile of sloppy joes, chili, and hotdogs.  Check out my chili armada...
Yes, with this fleet, I shall battle hunger.  And laziness.

Due the sparsity of red meat in this chili (mostly beans), it is likely we would drink the white table wine with this dish (top bottle), as opposed to the Beaujolais we would enjoy enjoy more with a grilled steak.

Comments

  1. I must say that I like how you spent your afternoon. Before we went to church on Sunday morning my oldest son and wife stopped by and brought me a bouquet of flowers. My husband and youngest son took me out to eat and I spent the afternoon reading before going to a church seminar at 5:30.

    I love my Kindle. I will love it even more after my son's graduation party is over on the 20th. I can hardly wait until I can spend more time reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @yellow: It's just kind of a mishmash of something pantry items I threw together, but it's hot and nutritious!

    @Martha: Did you receive the Kindle for Mother's Day? I got mine as a Christmas present, and I, too, love it. And, I too, am looking forward to later on this month when I can spend more time with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...