Skip to main content

Food TV

My kids enjoy watching the Food Network.  They also like the Game Show Channel.

I know, I know.  I have pretty awesome kids.

Anyway, one show they like is "Chopped".  The premise is a process of elimination - with one chef "winning".  Four culinary neophytes are run through a food obstacle course of sorts. In Round One, the contestants are given three totally random and unrelated ingredients, with which they have to create a palatable and clever appetizers.  And by random, I mean random...we're talking yucca, watermelon, and tortillas (there is also a "pantry" stocked with other basics).

Round Two is the entree.  Round Three is the dessert.  Each round, one contestant is eliminated or "chopped" from competition...and they go home feeling like a loser.

And these newbs are then given twenty minutes to complete.  You can imagine the drama that ensues.

So far, I'm okay with the show.  It's clever - seeing how inventive and clever these wannabe-Emerils can get.  Also, working under pressure - I get it!

But, after every round, the dishes are paraded out for a panel of tasting judges, of whose credentials I'm skeptical of.  Anyway...

The judges are honest and will inform each contestant of their dish's shortcomings.  They also praise when it's due.  And this is where things go south.  The entire show is now about WHO FAILED THE LEAST.  What do the judges expect when greenback chefs are given ridiculous ingredients and a constrained time limit?  On top of that, bombard them (in front of each other) with criticism when they don't produce the most amazing thing ever?

I dunno - it just kinda epitomizes the direction our society is going.  Distressing, really.

Also, the kids like to watch "Cupcake Wars".  As if strife and conflict doesn't happen around the world everyday, now people war over cupcakes.  Sheesh.

I'd abolish the TV from my house if I could - but I don't think I could get my husband to go for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For You!

I'm torn.  It's 8:40 p.m. here.  I know that I have roughly one hour of wakefulness left before I collapse onto my pillow for the night. My new term of classes start tomorrow.  My backpack is ready to go.  So is my leftover-lunch.  So is my breakfast smoothie.  All important emails has been sent.  I'm caught up on Facebook news. Hm.  How does one spend their last hour of energy before beginning the roller coaster ride of a new term? By watching Downton Abbey, Season 1 again...natch.  Now that there's no more DA until next January, I must watch the old episodes again for that fix.  And that, up until about twn minutes ago, was exactly what I'd planned on doing. Until I popped in here for moment to check on things.  And by things, I mean my "Stats".  And actually, by that, I mean my "Audience".  And I was shocked to see that in the last 24 hours, there have been more looks here at Be Food from France than from the US...

My Week...No Idea What It May Mean

Remember I'd finished reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" over a week ago?  Turns out that meat could be good and bread could be bad?  Well, I needed more info.  So, I skimmed Dr. Arthur Agatston's South Beach for some information and then I bookmarked Nutrition Data for handy reference. And after all that, I still had no real idea of what exactly I should be eating.  But, to do nothing still makes me part of the problem... I finally decided to limit my carbohydrate intake to under 100 daily.  Also, I wanted to steer clear of foods high on the glycemic index (high in sugars, even natural ones).  Usually, foods high in carbs are high on the glycemic index...but then you get something like carrots, which are good for you, but high in carbs.  Crazy... Monday's weigh-in was 132.6 lbs.  Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal and a half cup of blueberries - 34g carbs.  And just like that, one-third of my carbs were used up for the day.  And...

From Government Regulations to Chicken

So, I really wanted tonight's post to be whippy and biting and highly intelligent...and I've even got the perfect topic - government wine regulations: Europe vs. the US (subtitle: European Governments Seem to Trust Their Citizens A Whole Lot More The US, Otherwise Why Don't French, et al., Wine Labels Have the Surgeon General's "Pregnant Women Should Not Drink This/This Beverage Impairs Your Brain" Warning). But, I realized that to begin a post like that, I should probably know the answer to the question, yes?  Why do American wine labels include the warning, when, I don't know, isn't just common sense?  A quick search of this very query lands me at Wikipedia, which is good enough for a rude overview, but nothing that indicates why it's a law in the first place. Hence, more reading is required.  I hope to get to it soon.  It's almost August, two-thirds of this year is nearly gone, and sometimes I feel as I am moving very, very quickly along...